Today I gave away something that was precious to me…Muriel’s Bible. Muriel was my next door neighbor when I was growing up. She was like a grandma to me. We were pretty close. She died my senior year of high school after battling brain cancer. She was really the first person to die that I was close to. I grieved hard, but now it’s been 7 years and the Lord healed me of that grief. Today, I was able to give her Bible to a friend of mine who needed a new Bible. I was honored to share such a precious treasure with her.
But tonight, I lost the only other thing of Muriel’s that I had. As Ryan was doing the dishes, he bumped her teapot off the counter and it broke in pieces. As he told me, I burst into tears. I didn’t know I was that attached to it, but I think it was even harder since I had just TODAY given away her Bible. What timing you have God! You knew this would happen.
I am saddened, maybe even a little angry, at the state of my heart, that I would grieve so much over a teapot. But I think I’m not grieving for the teapot. I’m grieving once again for my good friend Muriel. This just brought back the memory of her.
My heart is sad, but I am glad that my Father cares more about the character in my heart than my feelings. I am glad He pinpointed my misdirected treasure. Jesus said: "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Luke 12.34
1 comment:
okay so now this really is old response.
My heart breaks like the tea pot to hear the emotion in your words. You are right to say that God does not want us to be hooked on things. But there are lots of examples in the bible of God using the riches He's entrusted to people for his glory. Take Lydia for example, she was a rich merchant. God gave her the resources to host Paul. Jacob made Joseph promise to take his bones back to Israel because he treasured his homeland. I think we must be willing to give up material possessions but I don't think God always asks that of us. It's not unreasonable to be sad over something precious broken. now if you had spent days trying to glue it back together to the exclusion of praying and reading your bible or you hold this accident over Ryan's head, destroying your relationship with him, then I believe you would have you loyalties misplaced. Think of what you do still have of Muriel. Can you smell the grape hyacinths as you think of her? or see the yard full of flowers or watch her walk down our street with Tessa? and we have pictures. and if you can remember her no 1 hobby, you may remember something else she gave you that you still have. (if not I'll show you when you come on wed). Honey, you'll always have her in your heart. And besides you'll see her again. Don't grieve as those who have no hope. I commend you for giving Muriel's bible to your friend. I love you and if I could glue it back together for you I would. see you soon, xoxoxox mom
Post a Comment