Journey

Psalm 23:2-3 ESV
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Trapped in Friendship Parenting?

Sunday my pastor warned about idolatry, "any time a good thing becomes your god thing." example used: parenting. Making decisions based on wether your kids will like you. I found that I have been falling into this a lot recently. I don't like it when my kids whine. So I've made choices to try and keep them as happy as possible. I especially find this to be true with Jubilee.

Today I read this article from Focus on the Family. It is about a family famous in Hollywood, but the struggle is the same. Here is the challenge: "Now a reality check. We all like to be liked. If it’s human nature for a kid to push, it’s human nature for a mom or dad to want to be favorably viewed by our kids. But here is the big question: Do we want to be their best pal – or their parent who often has to hold firm and say “no” when they desperately want us to say “yes”?

Here is your charge. Here is your challenge. Your kids have plenty of friends, maybe too many. But only two people in the world can really be their parents. Step up. Be parents today and the friendship with your children - a real friendship - will grow into adulthood and likely last throughout your lives."


So, are you up for the challenge? Today, I resolve to take back unnecessary freedom and be the parent again. I also repent of my idolatry. So glad Papa doesn't make choices for me based on wanting to be my friend. His wisdom is the best!

No comments: