Journey

Psalm 23:2-3 ESV
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Migraine-Free Cooking


I know everyone is curious about my migraines. I still have them. But God has led us to a really good book called "Heal Your Headache" by Dr. David Buchholz.I would definitely recommend it. One of the main things is to cut back on all possible dietary triggers so that my overall trigger level is lower. There is a 2 page list of things to cut out! Some of the main ones that I've found to be the hardest are cheese, onions, msg, hydrolyzed soy protein, caffeine, chocolate, nitrates and nitrites, tryramines (which is included in thinks like nuts, yogurt, sour cream, citrus, bananas, avocados raisins, etc.) Basically, I am having to relearn how to shop and cook. This is definitely a learning curve. But we're committed to it, because as it stands now, migraines are crippling our family. Thankfully, God led me to another book, "Migraine-Free Cooking!" by Heidi Gunderson.
This is a book written by another migraine sufferer who also read Dr. Buchholz's book and tried to follow the diet that eliminated all the triggers. She spent 2 years researching nutrition and recipes and then wrote this cookbook. What a blessing! It takes a little bit of the guess work out of cooking. Because I know that I can eat everything in there. The hardest part has been relearning what our new favorite meals are going to be. Mac and cheese is out for a while! BUMMER!!! For a little while, we were having nachos quite frequently. Here is my attempt last night to eat them the new way. The family still had them regular, mine had cream cheese instead of shredded cheddar. It was ok. It was like having the cheese and the sour cream mixed in one bite :) I've also done spaghetti with cottage cheese on the side. This gives me the salty addition that I usually like from the parmesan. We definitely appreciate your prayers. Pray for motivation, creative ideas and stick-to-it-iveness (how do you spell that?!?)

Nachos where my portion had cream cheese instead of mozzarella.


No comments: